I am sitting here flipping through the channels and growing more and more grieved over our culture. I am sad over how many shows end in “make over.” I love me some hip hop, but can’t watch, or listen to, most of what’s out without my head sinking. The window of good things to watch and listen to is narrowing fast.
People have become objects. I am not just saying that only women have become objects of sex. Men are just as much looked at for their bodies, and measured for their prince charming ways.
I am very much a person who appreciates the sexy. I love moments when I can say, “now that was sexy!”
The association with sexy in our culture has become so harsh and aggressive. Most of what drives sexy in our culture is a lack of self-esteem and self-worth. Daisy dukes and small cut tops don’t speak of confidence to me, but desperation to be validated.
Sexy builds confidence not dismisses self-worth.
I think what is sexy is most often what is also beautiful. Here are some things I think are sexy…
- – The unshowered and slightly disheveled person when they are waking up. It’s like your most unedited self.
- – Someone who is confident and not cocky.
- – (For me as a woman) a man who really takes the time to see another person.
- – When couples stand up and fight for one another.
- – A sweet sneak of a hand hold.
- – Courtesy
- – Watching the groom watch his bride walk down the isle.
- – Going above and beyond for someone.
- – Really hard laughter that brings out the deepest joy
- – Someone who risks to be authentic and real with where they are.
- – Parents who really love and really invest in their kids.
- – A sweet kiss that says, “I don’t want to miss a thing” and gentle enough that’s respectful.
- – People who desire to add value to other people.
- – Small tender smiles.
I could easily keep going with my list, but the point is that sexy is more than our culture defines it to be. There is so much more to sexy then how cheaply watered down we’ve made it.
SEXY IS MORE THAN SEX!
Sexy is something that adds value to someone’s self-worth rather than beating it down. Sexy is way more than looks alone. Sexy is beautiful inside and out. The heart is so sexy to me.
I am sad at our culture’s cheap version of sexy that is being handed out to the next generation. They have no clue what sexy really could be!
Be the right kind of sexy for yourself and others.
I would LOVE for you to challenge others to think about what sexy means/looks like in YOUR sphere of influence.
LET’S BRING SEXY BACK!